Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thanksoween


A very veggie Thanksgiving

I never posted about Halloween, so I will pretend that we celebrated Halloween and Thanksgiving together like we did last year. (The Thanksoween party, thrown by Emily and Rachel, is the best idea ever conceived by any human. Costumes + Thanksgiving Dinner = Amazing.)

For Halloween, we went to Kramer’s, probably the most popular ex-pat hang out. It’s right next to a brothel after all! I was Dr. Who. I had a bow tie (bow ties are cool), suspenders, a fez (fezzes are cool), and a suit jacket. I was very sweaty. I also had a home-made miniature TARDIS! But only one person at the whole party actually understood my costume. It made me sad, and I wanted to go to California and have Halloween with Dan so that I could nerd out to my heart’s content.

It's bigger on the inside.

Other than no one understanding my costume, the party was fun. A lot of drunk people, some in bad costumes, some in good costumes, and a fair amount of really skimpy costumes. All-in-all, pretty much the same Halloween party the world over.

I still haven’t recovered from Thanksgiving week. This is in no small part due to the three full-size Thanksgiving meals we had. They are summarized below.

Meal 1: Supreme Court Potluck

The marshals and I had the biggest appetites

Unique Palauan Highlight: Ginormous plate of Sashimi

Malumphy Fail: Promptly dropped the coconut I was given on the floor, spilling coconut water everywhere

Best Dish: Crab salad. Nomnoms.

Meal 2: Scholarship Fundraiser at Sunset Park

I did not eat these people.

Unique Palauan Highlight: Spam served out of a giant Rubbermaid container

Malumphy Fail: Not eating lunch and then being the last person served. I almost ate the people in front of me.

Best Dish: Pumpkin Pie. I convinced them to give me two pieces which I ate in less than one minute.

Meal 3: Dinner at Justice Foster’s home

It's not Thanksgiving without group pictures!

Unique Palauan Highlight: A host with a machete to cut off the coconut tops

Malumphy Fail: As always, I made my black bean soup, and even the garlic bread, way too spicy. One of Justice Foster’s sons, Leo, spit out my soup and said it was gross! Fair point, Leo.

Best Dish: Megan Marx’s Maryland cranberry sauce tied with Scott Walsh’s apple cranberry pie.

Luckily we worked all this off preemptively with the 5K Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning! Megan and I came in second and third respectively and got...you guessed it, free food!

1 comment:

  1. Love the "Unique Palauan Highlight, Malumphy Fail, and Best Dish" sections. You are too cute and I miss you!

    ReplyDelete