Monday, January 16, 2012

Some days end better than others: On Palauan sunsets



I am well aware of my nigh on month and a half absence. I’m sure you’ve all been waiting on the edge of your seats, hitting refresh every couple of minutes, to see what other adventures have overtaken me here in Palau. Wait no more! My goal this week is to post once a day. We’ll see. That should get me more or less caught up.

One post I’ve been meaning to write for a while is this one. I’ve seen a lot of sunsets (usually at Palau Pacific Resort, the self-described most beautiful resort in the world), and I’ve noticed some patterns and classifications that seem to apply. Sunset pretty much always happens around six (close the equator!) and happens really fast (close the equator!).

Blinding Death Ray



Frequency: This brand of sunset occurs most frequently. I’d say a solid 1/3 of sunsets I’ve seen so far fall into this category.

Weather Pattern: A typical day in Palau is sunny, hot, and still, with a few clouds in the sky. This sunset is associated with the typical weather pattern.

Characteristics: Without any additional clouds (particularly rain clouds) to give the sky more color, the result is a blinding blue and white in-your-face sunset. It’s like God is trying to stab you in the face with a fiery sword. Occasionally, there are pretty sunbreaks that are far enough away to look at without burning out the retinas.


Shades of Gray

(You really don't need a picture)

Frequency: More than I would like! It seemed like every time I took Jeff to PPR, we got these meh afternoon letdowns.

Weather Pattern: These occur when it rains all day. Which it has been (unseasonably) doing lately. This is supposed to be the “dry” season, but for most of December, we had massive afternoon rain showers. Including one wannabe typhoon (that tragically became a full-fledged typhoon closer to the Philippines).

Characteristics: Bleh. Just go to hot tub.


Sweet Zombie Jeebus

Frequency: I’d say one in ten. Often enough to keep me hopeful; infrequently enough that they still seem precious.

Weather Pattern: The key is a hard and sudden afternoon rain, say, 3:30 or so. Rain that runs right off the island when it’s done to take the stage to the west.

Characteristics: See the following pictures which make Megan look like some kind of water-nymph-goddess . . .









1 comment: